Sunday, July 31, 2005

Code 88



Code 88.

That's the code you yell when somebody goes into arrest and needs CPR. Code 88. Other hospitals call it CODED, ARREST, CODE RED, etcetera. Just the same, the patient's heart beat and breathing stopped and as an intern, I need to resuscitate the person.
But imagine this, I am only in my first week in the hospital. Well, the patient has long been a "gulay". Siempre na-apraise na rin ang folks (the relatives) sa condition ng patient. As a new intern, ang sa isip ko lang ay patient ito that needs treatment and then gagaling siya.
So all I have to do is do my best and treat him... Ibigay ang reseta ng gamot sa folks and administer the meds... Monitor and assess the patients condition and watch out that he won't deteriorate... Ibigay ang reseta ng gamot sa folks and administer the meds... Monitor and assess the patients condition and watch out that ... uh oh... sheiks... "doc..... DOC... DDDOOOCCC...."
Patients has no pulse, no spontaneous breathing... Doc? (looking at my resident). "Start CPR." Yea, of course! Ano pa ba ang gagawin ko... 1... and 2... and Breath! 1..and 2... and Breath! "Pabigay ng Epi(nephrine)". Five minutes later... Doc, still no pulse and breathing. "Continue..." (My resident turns to the folks and says blah blah blah)
Thirty minutes and 5 epis later... "OK, Neki check the Vitals." "Wala doc". "Get the ECG" Tinawag ko yung Technician. Long Lead II... flat line. "Neki, chart. Time of death 9:45 AM." Then everybody walked away. Ang nanay umiiyak. Ako? Ewan ko.
Learning from Doggie Howser MD, that the patients death was not my fault but of the disease, took away any guilt feeling I may have. Pero I still cannot understand how easy it is for the Doctors and even nurses to stare at death with a "wala lang" at "pakialam ko" attitude. Hello, may namatay. Tao yung namatay. "Ano ngayon, buhayin mo?" Well, I tried... "Yun nga, you tried and you failed. Kasalanan mo?" NO! "So let go..." Ok.
What about the dead patient? "Hindi na patient yun, cadaver na. Find a patient that you can help and not a dead body!" Ganun? OK....
To be continued...

No comments: